Hard cases for transporting gear are expensive. Even "cheaper" brands can still cost a good bit of money. We received a tip from @thomaspierson_photo on our instagram page about these Sam's Club-branded "Pelican" cases. Here's a quick run-down:
- Outside dimensions: 16" x 13" x 6.87"
- Inside dimensions: 14.62" x 10.18" x 6"
- Inside foam is composed of “pick and pluck” cubes. It can be cut horizontally and vertically in order to create small cubes that can be plucked out. Surrounding foam can be customized to the shape of what you are storing in the case
- Shock-proof design prevents contents from being broken or damaged if shocked
- Pressure-proof design prevents contents from being broken under pressure
- Moisture-proof design prevents the contents from rusting if box is submerged in liquid
- Features a valve that maintains the balance between internal and external air pressure
- Testing standards that reach IP55
- Handle in the front allows for easy transport
- Color: black
The equivalent Pelican-branded case is the Pelican 1450, and costs about $105. With up to IP55 Protection, and at this price, it'd be silly NOT to pick one (or two, or three!) up to protect your gear during transport. It's a bit smaller than the ubiquitous 1510 roller case that most people transport their kit in, but it's perfect for some lenses, bodies, or random gear that you want to keep safe.
If you're looking for a hard case but don't feel like the brand-name cases are worth the scratch, or just want some nice cases to transport some extra gear, then check these out. You can check stock at your local store online.
UPDATE: 9/23/2016, 3:50pm -- Even if you're not a member of Sam's Club, you can sign up for a free one-day shopping pass. You'll get an e-mail with a temporary number, then print this out and take it with you to purchase your items.
Have you picked one of these up? How do you transport your gear? Let us know below!